I don’t know what it is about avocado and toast that makes such a winning combination, but I’m more than happy to repeatedly test the theory. A healthy alternative to butter, avocado toast doesn’t have to be a bland one-trip-pony type dish with a sprinkle of sea salt and in fact, is a great base to carry many flavours. In my time I’ve had marmite-avo, strawberry-avo and even chocolate-avo toast, but this recipe far surpasses them all. Whether you’re after a filling breakfast or a fancy brunch this chilli-lime avocado is sure to impress.
– 1 whole ripe avocado.
– 3 slices of bread.
– 2 eggs.
– 1 ripe tomato.
– 3 slices of halloumi
– 1/2 a lime (juiced).
– 1/3 tsp chilli flakes.
– Salt and pepper as desired.
1. Bring a pot of water to boil on your hob then turn the heat down to medium-low.
2. Crack 2 eggs into a bowl, being careful to keep the yolks intact.
3. Create a vortex in the boiling water by using a whisk/ spoon or fork to swirl the water round in a circular motion before slipping the eggs in and leave to poach for 5 minutes.
4. In the meantime, cut your avocado in half, remove the pit and spoon all the avocado out into a bowl.
5. Mash the avocado with a fork until smooth then add your lime juice, chilli flakes, salt and pepper and leave to the side for later.
6. Remove your poached eggs from the boiling water and carefully leave on the side to rest.
7. Cut your tomato in half and brush the outside with your oil of choice (I usually use rapeseed oil) and add face down to a pan on the stove for 3 minutes each side.
8. Slice your halloumi and also add it to the same pan for 2/3 minutes each side.
9. While your tomatoes and halloumi are in the pan, add your toast to either your toaster or grill until you get your desired brownness.
10. With a butter knife, generously spread your avocado mixture on the slices of toast and cut them in half diagonally.
11. Place your poached eggs on top of the slices, cut the egg open to release the yolk and season with a little salt and pepper and add your tomatoes and halloumi on the side.